3D Model Asset
IntuiFace natively supports 3D models. With this support, users are able to rotate and zoom 3D models using their fingers. In addition, through the use of triggers and actions, you can cause 3D models to rotate and zoom to specific orientations and levels of magnification. Action-initiated rotation and zoom incorporates animation to create an engaging effect.
To add a 3D model to your experience, either drag it into the active scene from Windows Explorer or import it into the Content Library.
NOTE: Under the covers, IntuiFace uses the third-party, open source Assimp import library to achieve such robust 3D model support. In our experience, the quality of format support can vary widely within Assimp. Try any of the formats listed below but as import quality will vary, be alert to differences and let us know what you see.
The following list applies to all platforms supported by IntuiFace Composer and Player.
- Common Interchange Formats
- 3ds Max 3DS ( .3ds )
- 3ds Max ASE ( .ase )
- AC3D ( .ac )
- AutoCAD DXF ( .dxf )
- Blender 3D ( .blend )
- Collada ( .dae )
- DirectX X ( .x )
- Industry Foundation Classes (IFC/Step) ( .ifc )
- LightWave ( .lwo )
- LightWave Scene ( .lws )
- Milkshape 3D ( .ms3d )
- Modo ( .lxo )
- Stanford Polygon Library ( .ply )
- Stereolithography ( .stl )
- TrueSpace ( .cob,.scn )
- Wavefront Object ( .obj )
- Xaml ( .xaml )
- XGL ( .xgl,.zgl )
- Motion Capture
- Biovision BVH ( .bvh )
- CharacterStudio Motion ( .csm )
- Graphics Engine Formats
- Irrlicht Mesh ( .irrmesh )
- Irrlicht Scene ( .irr )
- Ogre XML ( .xml )
- Game File Formats
- Doom 3 ( .md5* )
- Quake I ( .mdl )
- Quake II ( .md2 )
- Quake III Mesh ( .md3 )
- Quake III Map/BSP ( .pk3 )
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein ( .mdc )
- Starcraft II M3 ( .m3 )
- Unreal ( .3d )
- Valve Model ( .smd,.vta )
- Other File Formats
- 3D GameStudio (3DGS) ( .mdl )
- 3D GameStudio (3DGS) Terrain ( .hmp )
- BlitzBasic 3D ( .b3d )
- Izware Nendo ( .ndo )
- Neutral File Format ( .nff )
- Object File Format ( .off )
- PovRAY Raw ( .raw )
- Quick3D ( .q3d,.q3s )
- Sense8 WorldToolKit ( .nff )
- Terragen Terrain ( .ter )
- Limit 3D models in collections to 10k facets. 3D models consume a lot of system resources so a collection filled with very large 3D models could severely impact PC performance.
- The Container property must be set to Static or Pin to enable users to manipulate the 3D model.
- You can zoom and change the view angle / direction in 3D models but you cannot change the camera position to perform a virtual visit. For virtual visits we recommend the use of videos or Adobe Flash animation.
- In addition to use of 3D models added to the Content Library, the 3D Model asset can reference a 3D model via an absolute file path. Reference via URL, on the other hand, will not work.
- Textures referenced in the material file (*.mtl) with a URL will not work.
- Texture files located in the root folder of the 3D object will always be loaded.
- For experience portability purposes, avoid using absolute paths (e.g. C:\...) to reference textures. That said, textures can be referenced within the material file (*.mtl) using a relative file path (ie. relative to the .mtl file).
- Textures referenced in the material file (*.mtl) with a
relative path must be located in the following folder of the
- [My3DModelFolder] is the folder IntuiFace created when you added your 3D Model to the experience. It contains your .mtl file
- [TextureFolder] is a folder you create, referenced with a relative path in your .mtl file. It is in here that you put your texture files.
See our list of common properties for details about properties shared by all asset types.
- Use model camera set the original orientation of the 3D model to the X, Y, Z axis values defined within it
- X rotation the initial point along the X axis of the 3D model
- Y rotation the initial point along the Y axis of the 3D model
- Z rotation the initial point along the Z axis of the 3D model
- Initial zoom the initial zoom percentage for the 3D model
- Show curtain shadows makes the container border visible through shading
- Use model lights create light sources using the settings defined within the model
- Allow zoom lets users zoom the 3D model
- Min zoom the minimum zoom percentage for the 3D model
- Max zoom the maximum zoom percentage for the 3D model
- Allow interaction lets users manipulate the 3D model
3D Model specific triggers:
- Viewport is changed: Raised when the viewport has been changed.
- Viewport is reset: Raised when the viewport has been reset.
The screenshot below illustrates the set of triggers specific to
the 3D Model Asset (click to zoom)
3D Model specific actions:
- Reset viewport: Resets the viewport to the default state.
- Set viewport: Set viewport using x,y,z rotation angles and zoom factor.
- Change 3D Model: Replace the current content with new content located at a specified URI.
- Turn interactive mode off: Disable interaction for this 3D model.
- Turn interactive mode on: Enable interaction for this 3D model.
The screenshot below illustrates the set of actions specific to
the 3D Model Asset (click to zoom)
- Tip of the Month: Getting Answers To Your IntuiFace Questions
- Tip of the Month: Little Known Features of IntuiFace
- Tip of the Month: Experience Design Choices to Optimize Performance
- Tip of the Month: Using Out-of-the-Box Interface Assets to Incorporate Real-time Information
- Tip of the Month: Use Design Accelerators to Improve Appearance and Functionality
- View all (6 more)