Technical Requirements for Working with Beacons
IntuiLab’s beacon implementation is compatible with
iBeacon™ and Eddystone™ devices.
Any beacon on the market compliant with either of these two technologies is supported by IntuiFace.
Internal tests were conducted with the following devices:
In all cases, you will be able to build your experience using IntuiFace Composer on any supported version of Windows. To test your beacon features in Play Mode, see the following sections:
- Windows 8.1 or 10
- with embedded Bluetooth LE support (e.g. Microsoft Surface
- with a Bluetooth LE dongle see here)
- with embedded Bluetooth LE support (e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro)
- iPad or Android device with embedded Bluetooth LE support
- For Android, both Player for Tablets and Player for Kiosks can be used.
Use the Beacon Detection interface asset for both Application Notification and Proximity Detection
In the URL Broadcast scenario, an IntuiFace experience broadcasts a URL using the Eddystone-URL protocol over Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth LE). This scenario is often referred to as the Physical Web; additional information about the Physical Web™ can be found in this article.
IntuiFace only supports URL broadcasting on Windows PCs - Windows 7, 8 and 10 - and only if the PC uses a very specific Bluetooth LE stack. This stack is made available through one of two methods:
- Replacing your Bluetooth LE dongle's native driver with the
WinUSB driver. See
- Using one of three Bluetooth LE dongles natively supported by IntuiFace. See here below.
To broadcast a URL using the Eddystone-URL protocol, IntuiFace uses a third-party library - WinUSB - to enable access to the raw information passed between a PC and an attached Bluetooth LE dongle. As a result, you need to replace your dongle's native driver with the WinUSB driver.
Warning: Replacement of your dongle's native driver with the WinUSB driver will make the dongle unusable by everything except IntuiFace. To reenable your dongle for use by anything other than IntuiFace, you must uninstall the WinUSB driver and reinstall the original driver provided with your Bluetooth equipment.
To install the WinUSB driver for your Bluetooth LE dongle:
- Download and run the Zadig USB driver installation tool.
- Select the "BCM20702A0" device in the dropdown list. If you
don't see it in the list, select the menu item
Options -> List All
- Set Driver to "WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)".
- Click the Install Driver button.
- If you are prompted by a Windows Security pop-up (see below), click Install.
Full documentation for Zadig is available here
IntuiFace natively supports three Bluetooth LE dongles, all of which use the BCM20702A0 chipset:
If you plan to use any other Bluetooth LE dongle based on the same BCM20702A0 chipset, you can add it to the list of supported devices presented within Composer by following the instructions below.
- Close Composer
- In the Composer installation folder, search for the file PhysicalWeb.ifd and open it in a text editor.
- Locate the bluetoothDevice property. In the
'enum' list add an entry with your own dongle information.
- Name: a name that describes your dongle
- Value: Vendor ID & Product ID of your hardware, separated by the pipe symbol (|)
- Save the file then open Composer.
- In the URL Broadcast interface asset properties, you can now select your own device in the Bluetooth device list.