Complete Guide to Doing Business with IntuiFace
This article is for any company considering the use of IntuiFace to create an interactive experience creation and/or deployment management business.
Table of Contents
IntuiFace is an interactive experience creation platform - you can think of it as application creation - that includes:
- an authoring tool for creating the interactive experience - aka Composer
- a runtime for playing experiences built using Composer - aka Player
- an infrastructure for collecting data from user interactions at play time - aka Data Tracking
- an online tool for sharing experiences with colleagues/clients and deploying experiences to Players anywhere in the world - aka Share and Deploy console
No development skills are required to use IntuiFace nor to run experiences on any of its supported platforms: Windows, iPad, Android tablets, Chrome OS devices and the Tizen-based Samsung SMART Signage Platform. (For a comparison of IntuiFace with traditional digital signage platforms, see this blog entry.)
The primary way of doing business with IntuiFace is to sell an interactive experience creation service to your clients. As the IntuiFace-created experience requires Player to run and - optionally - Data Tracking to collect data, you indirectly resell Player (and Data Tracking) to your client as well. That's one Player license for each device running an experience and one data tracking plan per IntuiFace account.
Two client-facing strategies are possible:
- The "best kept secret" approach: Your client has no knowledge that the interactive experience you deliver has "IntuiFace inside". You believe it is in your business interest to not disclose how interactive content is created. In this case, you can take advantage of our white label Player. More about this Player option here.
- The "open door" approach: You inform your client that the interactive experience is IntuiFace-based. There are plenty of reasons for doing this:
- Your client might want you to create the first version of the experience and then take it over. This client will likely purchase IntuiFace software directly from IntuiLab.
- Reassure your client that, if anything happens, s/he can get the "source code" of the app and move forward independently,
- Prove to your client that you won't "lock her/him in" to a solution requiring you as a vendor
- Illustrate to your client that you're using the latest and greatest technology because that's what you value most in your relationship with the client. For example, it's unlikely that an agency would protectively hide their use of Photoshop or Illustrator.
- Entitle you for consideration as a member of the IntuiFace Global Experts community.
The "best kept secret" approach is the old-school approach and likely represents how you're competing for business today. The "open door" approach is a more modern concept predicated on empowering the client. It is competitively differentiating but requires a closer relationship. We expect the "open door" model to become increasingly popular as prospects/clients increasingly seek independence, clarity and confidence in how they do business around content creation.
If you have multiple prospects/clients operating in the same market, like real estate, you might want to invest in - or take advantage of an existing project to build - an IntuiFace template for that market. For example, consider a generic real estate app that shows houses for sale on a map and, when the house location is touched, shows the house "product sheet" comprised of pictures, price, description, etc. It is quite easy to both build this with IntuiFace and then personalize it with a different welcome screen, logo, house database, etc. for each realtor prospect. You can even start from free samples available in the IntuiFace Marketplace.
With a template-based approach you can move from a start-from-scratch business to a higher turnover customization business to - why not - a full ISV (Independent Software Vendor) or software publisher business by selling your template directly on the IntuiFace Marketplace.
- IntuiFace experience creation services, usually the forte of a Digital Agency. Become an IntuiFace designer (typically a user experience designer) coordinating with a graphic designer and, depending on the app, a developer for creating the interface assets used to connect your IntuiFace-based front end with the client's back end, with peripheral devices, etc.
- Software back-end development and integration services for any "connected" experience (e.g. an endless aisle retail app), usually the forte of a System/Software integrator.
- Set-up and installation services for touch-enabled devices and the connected infrastructure supporting these devices. Usually the forte of an A/V Integrator.
- Deployment management, support and update services for all components of the project.
- "Business KPI" services built around the information collected via Data Tracking.
Your company can offer any of these service options. Several visionary companies are now offering the complete set in the form of an "all-in-one managed services" offering. Of course, this is where you can get the most our of your IntuiFace expertise: build a team, capitalize on best practices and reusable components, then expand!
You client's perceived value of an IntuiFace-based experience can be huge: extraordinary multi-touch capabilities, modern design options, high reliability, fast implementation, robust deployment infrastructure, detailed usage analytics, etc. "Wow, that must cost a lot to develop!"
The good (and obvious) news for you is that, with IntuiFace, you need only a fraction of the resources (and thus a fraction of the costs) required to code a bespoke app for your client. Not to mention the overwhelming cost of hiring the expensive development skills required to get the same results obtained using IntuiFace. Good luck controlling costs!
The following picture summarizes the total cost difference between custom and IntuiFace-based projects for the same perceived value. By "total" we mean not only the cost of getting to Version 1 of the delivered app but the long term cost associated with content changes, device addition, etc.
This picture also highlights the very reasonable cost of the IntuiFace platform compared to your costs. Based on our own customers' estimates, IntuiFace platform fees only represent between 3% and 6% of the overall project.
For many of you, concept and design is a key strength and differentiator. As your margins dramatically increase, your aim can be to exceed client expectations, spending additional time on ideation and design. Good design is good business. Some of IntuiFace's most skilled users have reported a 10% / 90% split between implementation with IntuiFace and the conception and graphic design phases. IntuiFace won't be creative for you but it frees you to embrace - and fund - your own creativity.
Usually - and this is certainly true for IntuiFace - the fewer resources required to deliver a project means shorter delivery time. Our customers have experienced up to a 60% reduction in delivery time compared to custom developed projects. And we don't just mean of any quality. It's high quality delivery by virtue of being based upon a platform already used - and abused - by thousands of previous IntuiFace designers.
With IntuiFace - remember, it's a no coding platform - you no longer have the hassle of going external to locate and pay hard to find/-hire/-manage resources. You can use your own internal resources or your regular design contractors to do the job. That's a relief!
And the best part is that you can also, very early in the project, share intermediate drafts with your client in order to receive early feedback. You can truly put in place an agile and collaborative delivery process with your client.
Net: You are fully in control of your delivery process!
This is totally up to you, of course, and you may have been doing this for years. However, we can offer a few suggestions as we've been there too.
You might want to itemize:
- The creative work used to deliver the experience (Service #1)
- This might include software back-end/integration (Service #2)
- Device price, usually for each kiosk or display.
- Hardware and software license fees
- You may choose to not itemize IntuiFace Player licenses if you're taking the best kept secret approach.
- All the infrastructure install / set-up and experience deployment (Service #3)
- Ongoing management and monitoring of the infrastructure, fixes and (reasonable) changes to the app, support (incl. service level agreements) (Service #4)
- Business KPI collection, analysis, reporting and optimization (Service #5)
By dramatically increasing the speed from idea to implementation, nothing prevents you from creating and sharing - during the pre-sales process - a "living prototype" of what your client envisions.
Sometimes this pre-sales step is called the discovery phase. The beauty of IntuiFace is that it can be used to make the discovery phase very concrete, increasing your prospect's interest and confidence while also reducing project risks. A true recipe for winning against any competition!
The only challenge of this approach - though well managed by Digital Agencies who can address this with creative ideas and beautiful graphic design - is to make sure the client understands the project won't be completed on Day One, ensuring you can reap the economic benefits of using IntuiFace on the project.
IntuiFace Data Tracking makes it possible for IntuiFace users to identify the preferences and - when relevant - demographics of those who use their interactive content. This data can even be collected in an environmental context, meaning you can capture information like location and weather, potential influences on user decisions.
Based on business guidance, the IntuiFace designer inserts "probes" in the experience to collect the right pieces of information - e.g. the ID of the product whose images has been selected. The resulting information is automatically sent from every deployed device running Player to a cloud-based, IntuiFace hosted data hub. Once on that data tracking hub, you have various options for accessing that information for the purposes of analysis, marketing automation and/or data warehousing. Among these options is a direct download into Excel, an upload into your or your client's Google Analytics account and automatic forwarding of data to any of 150+ third party analytics platforms using the third party service Segment.
From there, any kind of KPI (such as those found in Google Analytics) can be computed and visually represented. With IntuiFace Data Tracking, your client will no longer be blind with regard to the efficiency (and thus RoI) of placed-based screens and kiosks, helping to justify current as well as future investment.
IntuiFace Data Tracking opens a whole new business avenue for you. (See this blog article for a deeper discussion.) IntuiFace Data Tracking enables you to engage at the highest business and marketing levels in your client's organization. You'll help to define KPIs, perform A/B testing (like deploying a change in the app on half of the kiosks in a mall, comparing results with the other half) and make changes to the experience accordingly. It's all about bringing the conversation with the client to new strategic levels. We strongly encourage you to investigate this next step, aiming to build a new practice and expertise within your organization. With the help of IntuiFace Data Tracking (and all the support we can give you), you can do it!
Note: Your IntuiFace account level must be Premier or Enterprise to use the IntuiFace Data Tracking capability.
Player for Windows is available in both standard and white label configurations. The white label Player for Windows enables you to replace the IntuiFace splash screen - the branded image displayed during the launch of any software - with either an image of your own or no image at all. It's your choice.
Player on the iPad and Android devices does not have a white label option but IntuiLab's Post To Store service delivers store-ready white label experiences for listing in the App Store and Google Play. These experiences have no IntuiLab-specific brand marks and can be downloaded and played by an unlimited number of users. Additional details can be found here.
These options are great in the context of the "best kept secret" client strategy. They are also helpful for the "open" strategy in case the app you have developed is deployed on kiosks in a public place and your client wants their own brand to appear when using deployment automation.
Qualifying companies are listed on our IntuiFace Experts webpage and given a dedicated company page to share detailed information and past work. In addition to this exposure for new business opportunities, Experts are entitled to a variety of exclusive benefits:
- Ability to purchase perpetual Player for Windows licenses with only a Premier-level account. Non-Experts must be at the Enterprise-level to purchase perpetual Player for Windows.
- Ability to purchase the "post-to-store" services with only a Premier-level account. Non-Experts must be at the Enterprise-level to use the post-to-store service.
- Ability to purchase Annual and Perpetual Players, as well as Annual Composer Enterprise at a discount starting at the first license purchased.
- Free Player licenses for any validated participation of the Expert as an exhibitor at a conference or trade show (up to one month)
- Promotion via social media of the Expert's participation as an exhibitor at a conference or trade show.
- Attribution of employees as "Experts" when contributing to our User Community
- Release previews and new feature training provided by IntuiLab
To qualify as an Expert:
- Demonstrate IntuiFace skills through published work (work can be privately shared with IntuiLab)
- Possess an active, annual Premier or Enterprise-level Composer account
- Earn at least a Bronze badge (see below)
- Be a legally registered business in their country of origin
Badge color reflects the extent to which an Expert's IntuiFace-based work can be evaluated by potential clients:
- Bronze Badge: Images of the Expert’s work posted to their Experts company page.
- Silver Badge: Videos of work posted to their Experts company page or to an IntuiFace-dedicated page on their company website
- Gold Badge: Images/videos of work posted to their Experts company page and to an IntuiFace-dedicated page on their company website
- Platinum Badge: A Gold Badge holder who has published work on the IntuiFace Experience Marketplace
The IntuiFace Marketplace aims at delivering quality IntuiFace experiences to the market. In addition to hosting free experiences, the Marketplace is open to sellers. In it you can sell IntuiFace experiences in various formats (as play-only, with the "source code", etc.) at a price you decide (IntuiLab retains 30% of that selling price). Of course, we promote each Seller's experience once published. We even highlight superior examples on our vertical market pages where they fit best. For example, check out the "Learn from Pre-built Samples" section on our Museum page.
Last (but not least!), we created a "Bootstrap My Project" service offering to help you tackle any of the activities described in this document, from helping you to deliver your first experience to a client, to building a kick-butt mock-up for winning a strategic account, to building KPIs into your client's app. Whatever you can think of. Let us know!
This is a fixed-fee service of 5K USD/EUR and in almost all cases we promise a two week delivery cycle. Money is fully refunded in the - unlikely - event that you're not happy with the results. It's as simple and transparent as that!
Most people - most companies - believe interactive digital signage, information kiosks, sales pitches, exhibits, etc. require very expensive custom development work and/or technology. As a result, they don’t proactively look for it.
You need to be proactive in promoting what is possible, both on the Web and 1:1. Show examples (videos of examples are fine) - since just saying something is possible isn’t enough - and offer services wrapped around it. Embrace the idea of creating prototypes with IntuiFace early in the presales process. Promote the value of analytics as a means of ensuring successful deployments and a healthy ROI, a differentiator versus non-interactive content.
We can tell you from the inside that no company on the planet would reject interactivity in how they promote/sell/inform if they knew it was accessible, affordable and off-the-chart differentiating.
Other than developing major IntuiFace skills, you must be in possession of at least one paid Composer and - optionally - paid Player license so you can produce content without the limitations of our Free tier.
We are an R&D driven organization, particularly unlike traditional digital signage vendors who halted the innovation engine long ago and are only investing in marketing and sales. Just take a look at our product release history to understand our pace: 4 major releases per year, minor fix releases every other week. You can be sure we will be an industry leader and innovator and you can trust that we will be very responsive to any need or issue you encounter.