Player for Kiosks on Chrome OS - Limitations
We highly recommend the following:
- Minimize the file size of graphic media. For
example, a 4k Ultra HD video on a Chrome device will consume an
enormous amount of system RAM, risking serious performance issues,
while contributing no aesthetic value on such a physically small
- Endorse modularity. Choose a small number of
images on multiple scenes rather than a large number of images on a
small number of scenes.
- Test on the tablet often. Even though
Composer's Play Mode includes an option for simulating tablets, it
does not reproduce a tablet environment. You must run your
experience on the Chrome device in order to assess its true
- Review the rest of this page to be sure you
are acquainted with all limitations. Player for Windows offers a
superset of capability over Player for Kiosks. This difference will
narrow over time but at the moment, not every design option is
available for use on tablets.
- Test your webpage in the native tablet browser to make sure it is rendered properly. Some websites are rendered differently when opened on tablet devices and this is how those sites will appear in Player for Chrome OS.
For a detailed list of design recommendations, see this article.
Certain IntuiFace capabilities available in Player for Windows will never be available in Player for Chrome OS because the underlying technology is not supported by the operating system:
- (Adobe) Flash Animation asset
- (Microsoft) Deep Zoom asset
- Websites supporting a same origin policy. The Web Browser asset requires websites supporting a cross origin policy.
The following capabilities are not yet part of IntuiFace Player on Chrome OS but may be added in future releases:
- Share via Email - Configurable (i.e. using your own SMTP server)
- Helix collection
- Timeline collection
- On Screen Gestures - only supports Swipe Up/Down, Swipe Left/Right.
- Linear Gauge
- Webcam Asset
- Scratch Card
- Scene transition effects may greatly decrease the performance of your experience and could even lead to a crash. Limit their use.
- Scene Background Video is not supported
- Use mp4 format for video. The Microsoft wmv format is not supported.
- Only one video/audio can be played at a time.
- Can only use time stamps to assign a poster to a video. External images cannot be used as posters.
- Video and Audio asset volume can only be controlled using the tablet's physical volume buttons.
- “Title” property of the Video, Audio and Document assets is not supported.
- Launch Application action is unavailable.
- Minimize capability is not available (including the Initial View State property)
- Cannot respond to remote actions regardless of the source: neither from a running experience, IntuiPad or a third party application
- Web Browser asset
- No support for website links opened in a new browser window (i.e. _blank)
- Scroll function is not supported (Player for Android only)
- Text Input Keyboard is not supported as the native OS keyboard is used on Chrome devices.
- Drawing Tools
- Snapshot capability is not yet implemented.
- The following scene transition effects are not available:
- Black Fade
- There is no initial scroll effect for the Asset Flow, Asset Grid and Carousel collections.
- Only Scale is managed for items in a Group
- Asset Flow and Asset Grid collections do not manage "justify". When the collection contains fewer items than can fit in a single view - e.g. 3 items in the collection while 5 could be displayed - then items are left justified.
- For the Document asset in Book orientation
- The following properties are not yet recognized
- "Show page numbers"
- "Reading direction" (it is always Left to Right)
- "Show scroll indicator"
- The following actions are not yet recognized
- "First page"
- "Last page"
- The following properties are not yet recognized
- For the Map collection
- No caching of a live session
- Bing Maps is blank without an API key
- Preview Mode requires that each individual media file used in an experience be no larger than 100 MB.
- Every Player login initiates a new license request; a license is neither released nor recognized by Player after logging out. As a result, more than one license can be checked out for the same tablet. To release a tablet license back into the license pool, follow the directions here.
- Some Windows fonts are rendered differently than they appear on
Windows PCs. The following contains the known list of fonts with
rendering differences but there may be others.
- Bookshelf Symbol 7
- MS Outlook
- MS Reference Specialty
- MT Extra
- Times New Roman
- Wingdings 2
- Wingdings 3
- Tip of the Month: Getting Answers To Your IntuiFace Questions
- Tip of the Month: Little Known Features of IntuiFace
- Tip of the Month: Experience Design Choices to Optimize Performance
- Tip of the Month: Using Out-of-the-Box Interface Assets to Incorporate Real-time Information
- Tip of the Month: Use Design Accelerators to Improve Appearance and Functionality
- View all (6 more)